Awards –

from hammer

to pick-up

Solution

Victor Alva is 25 years old, and has been a mason for five years. He was born in Puebla but now lives in Mexico City.
 

Felipe Delgado has owned his building supplies store for 17 years. During all that time he has been a loyal Holcim customer. You can see that when you enter the shop. There are Holcim posters and materials everywhere, and Delgado’s staff all wear white shirts embroidered with the logo of the store and the Holcim logo.

 

Victor Alva rises early and heads for the bus. It is already warm, and traffic is teeming. Cars and buses, taxis, and small trucks all squeeze onto the overcrowded roads. Yet somehow it is all under control. Traffic is a way of life in Mexico City.

Alva, 25 years old, is a mason, one of the legions contributing to the seemingly endless expansion of Mexico’s bustling capital. High office buildings, squat shopping malls, rows of apartments, and small worker’s flats called viviendas—it is all part of the dense urban sprawl, and it all must be built or tended to by men like Alva. With modern technology and heavy equipment it is easy to overlook this fact: In this day and age, construction is still greatly dependent on the hard work and skill of individual men and women.

As he does whenever he needs to buy bags of cement, Alva is heading to Materiales Cuajimalpa, Felipe Delgado’s building supplies store in the Huixquilucan district. Alva says that when he needs cement only Holcim products will do, and only from Delgado’s store. He appreciates the Holcim quality and Delgado’s friendly, personal service. For the past few months, however, he has had a further reason to prefer Materiales Cuajimalpa: the Holcim Más loyalty program.

“With Holcim Más, every time I buy a bag of Holcim cement, I earn points which I can redeem for prizes. In my case, I use them to get tools for my work. It saves me money, and so helps increase my income”.

Victor Alva
Mason, Mexico City

Participants in the program earn points for each purchase they make. These points can be redeemed for prizes. The two catalogs—there is one for the retailer and another for the end-user—contain over 140 items. These run the gamut from in-ear headphones to trucks.

The Holcim Más program is available throughout Mexico. Some 600 retailers and 15,200 end users such as masons are taking part. The program’s goal is to increase sales of bagged cement by earning the loyalty of retailers and end-users alike. In 2014, the program accounted for USD 6.5 million in additional sales for Holcim Mexico. Despite the challenging market in the country, those Holcim retailers enrolled in the program increased sales significantly. Holcim retailers not in the program often saw sales drop.

 

“With Holcim Más,” he explains, “every time I buy a bag of Holcim cement, I earn points which I can redeem for prizes. In my case, I use them to get tools for my work. It saves me money, and so helps increase my income.”

The program was born of an effort by Holcim Mexico to add value for retailers and end users. Unlike most loyalty programs, both customer groups can enroll. That means whenever Alva buys a bag of Holcim cement at Delgado’s store, each of them earns points.

For store owners, the program also has benefits beyond the prizes. It helps retain customers and win new ones—an important consideration these days. “The market has been difficult in Mexico lately,” Delgado says. “Sales at many retailers are down. But mine have remained steady, in great part thanks to Holcim Más.”

This is exactly what the program was designed to do. That it benefits Holcim as well, through increased sales, makes it a true value-for-all solution.

It is mid-morning when Alva arrives at Delgado’s store. The owner, a tall man with tousled hair and an infectious grin, comes down to greet him and have a chat. Afterwards Alva goes to place his order. The young woman behind the counter arranges for the cement to be delivered to the job site, and makes sure Alva’s points are credited to his account. Alva then says his goodbyes and heads out to work.

“I have always favored this store and Holcim cement,” he says as he leaves. “Holcim Más makes it even better.”

 

In Mexico, Holcim sells roughly 60 percent of its cement in bags to customers such as Victor Alva. The remaining 40 percent are bulk deliveries used for larger construction sites such as infrastructure projects and other major works.